Friday, September 12, 2008

surprise!

There's something I've thought about blogging about for a while. I haven't because it's kind of personal and I really don't know who all reads this. But I guess I'll go ahead and do it. . .

This will surprise you (cough, cough) but I'm single. Not just 'unmarried-single,' but 'haven't-been-on-a-date-in-um-ever-single.' (Let me go ahead and answer the questions you have at this point: Yes, I have been asked out. No, they were not guys I needed to be dating. Yes, you can politely turn down a date--otherwise guys wouldn't ask for your answer.) I'm not looking for a date here. I'm just going to point out some of the good and bad of being single.

The Good. . .
*I can make decisions by myself. *I decide how to spend my money. *I can sit in a quiet home and read or cook or whatever I want to do. *I use my time how I think is best for me.

The Bad. . .
*I have to make decisions by myself. (Well, I do have a friend or two that I bug, I mean, consult.) *I have to figure out how to use my money by myself. *Asking questions about insurance or retirement options at work usually gets the same response: 'I can't help you. My husband takes care of that.' *I spend a lot of time by myself. *I don't have cute pictures of myself with someone at the beach . . . or at a 600 year old palace in Korea (that's a hypothetical point. :) *Some sales just don't apply: entertainment or dining bogo? Let's be practical. . . why do I need 2 tickets or 2 dinners? *And, the big one, no long walks on the beach. Ha!

Actually, the first night we were on vacation was my mom's birthday and all she really wanted to do was walk on the beach with my dad. (They're so cute.) So they walked the beach and a few other couples walked the beach and I . . . I sat with my brother. He said out loud what I was thinking. "Maybe next year." And so it begins. "Maybe next year. . . maybe next Christmas or New Year's or Valentine's . . .maybe at the next friend's wedding (in 29 days by the way) . . . maybe my next birthday (in 77 days!).

My life is not empty in the least, and I absolutely don't think I need a relationship just to have a relationship. It's just that there's a time when you assume you will have someone to share things with and it's not a guarantee.

No comments: