Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm on vacation!!

Since the Korea trip, when I'm out of town and don't blog about it I feel like I'm forgetting to do something. So here's a little vacation blogging...

My parents, brother and me drove down here Saturday. We made it a quicker trip than in the past--maybe because my dad didn't think we really needed to stop for lunch. So we got here, checked in, and headed straight to . . . Applebee's. (Mom's meal was free; not for her birthday, but because her well done steak came to the table bleeding. . . twice.) After Applebee's, we went to the beach. It was after sunset, so the only light was the moon and the party at the beachside pool. It was pretty neat to walk down to the ocean because it was so dark, but you could still hear the slow-dancing music in the background, like the ocean had a soundtrack.

Sunday we did our grocery shopping and cooking for the week, hung out at the pool and again went to the beach at night.

Monday me, mom and dad walked to the beach before breakfast. We hung out by the pool and went back to the beach that night.

Yesterday morning mom and dad went walking and I went to the pool. I loved it! I was the only person there, so I swam laps until I thought I might pass out. I just didn't want to give up "the-pool-is-all-mine" time! :) After second-breakfast (I eat when I get up and with the family when we get back from morning walking/swimming) me, mom and dad went to the beach for the afternoon. We didn't swim in the ocean though. Last year I accidentally swam with a ray and I've been a little cautious since. Yesterday walking on the beach you could just stop and watch the jellyfish float in and the crabs walking under the tide. (Dad: "How big are the crabs?" Me: "Dinner size.") It was a great walk, but didn't do much to make me want to jump in.
We went "home" for a late lunch and went back to the beach for sunset. Then we went to the pool when it was dark. It was amazing. If you floated on your back and tilted your head back, you could see lights reflecting in the water, the palm trees, the moon and the stars all at the same time. Or you could just look up and watch the stars. Mom said it was like being inside a snow globe. (Mom, by the way, had on regular clothes, not a swimsuit, but Dad talked her in anyway. Oh, and the pool was closed. :)

This morning (Wednesday) I had been swimming laps and Mom came and joined me. A man complimented us on our swimming. He said he liked watching us swim because we made it look easy. What a compliment. Granted, he had been on the other side of the pool teaching a middle-aged woman in arm floaties how to swim. But still, I'll take that compliment. :)

So that's our vacation so far. Add in my dad walking 5 miles or so before everyone gets up, the tv left on FoxNews, my brother's gameboy, and the three books my mom is trying to read at the same time, and you've got a picture of our vacation. (Side note: I am a nerd. I always read a lot on this trip. But my current book makes my nerdiness official: "Infamous Scribblers: The Founding Fathers and the Rowdy Beginnings of American Journalism." Ha!)

More later. . .

No comments: