Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oops!

Oops! I haven't blogged in a month...or two...or a little longer. So what have I been doing?...

Housesitting... I'm house/dogsitting for a friend who is working with a church in Korea for 3 months (3 weeks left). The hardest part--remembering when to put the trash out. Ha!

Dating... Since my blog on never dating, I've been on a couple of dates. While it was fun to spend time with adults, it confirmed even more that it's worth the wait for the right person.

Sewing...I made my first quilted purse as a Christmas present for my mom and I'm working on an idea for one for me. And after that... well, I could be for hire. ")

Reading...I read a book at work (yes, I get to read at work some days) that a co-worker thought I'd love because it is Christian/inspirational fiction. I don't normally read fiction (unless it's a classic) but she really wanted me to try it. And so I read an amish love story. The best part is that it was book two in a four part series, so I still don't know if amish Annie and outsider Ben will ever get to be together. ha.

More Reading... I got Micheal Catt's book "Prepare For Rain" for Christmas. Catt is the pastor of Sherwood Baptist Church (think "Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof"). The book really is just the story of what can happen when a church decides to believe that they are serving the God of the Impossible and to Expect More. (Sound familiar to anyone??) Catt challenges us to not try to make our church into the next Sherwood, but to discover the unique plan God has for our church in our community and to trust God in going after it. I recommend the book. Exciting stuff.

And More Reading... The week before Christmas, me and my best bud Rachel went to Starbucks (thanks for the giftcard Maggie & Hanna!!) and to McKay's. We were looking for a couple of books in particular and, of course, left with a basketful of other books. I have been buying history books there and got really excited about a book I found that day...a history of the KGB. (I know, I know. But I'm okay being a nerd.) This book is very interesting, but also sort of scary. So much of it sounds like something from the show "Alias" (the best show ever next to Punky Brewster) or the Bond movies, and it is has been going on for decades, inside the U.S. And it makes me wonder what we will face as a nation and how we will handle it with a new CIA director with no experience in intelligence. (You knew there would be a political twist, didn't you?) Please don't lose interest in the world just because the election is over.

Coaching... I've coached Upward basketball the past three years and this was going to be my season to just be a spectator. So... I'm coaching the "Thunder," third through sixth grade girls. They are a sweet group... not very big, not very aggressive... perfect for basketball. :) We had our first game last week. We didn't win, but they did a great job focusing on the things I told them I wanted them to work on. And they are really excited about memorizing the verses, which is more important than the basketball anyway.

No comments: