Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Waiting and Watching

My first week at Carson-Newman (hard to believe that was almost 8 years ago!) an upper classman gave me this advice about being in full-time ministry: 'if you can be happy doing anything else, do that other thing.' At first it sounded like odd advice, but it makes alot of sense now. I've spent a lot of time in jobs I didn't love and have ended up changing jobs alot. The thing that has been consistent in my life is student ministry. I always go into new jobs thinking I can be happy there as long as I have the time to stay as involved in student ministry as I have been. And that works for a while. Then I get to the point in my job where I should be moving up or taking on more responsibility and I realize, again, that it's not what I was made to do. And I get frustrated and start looking for something new. It usually takes 5 or 6 months for me to realize that I can't be happy where I am. I started at the bank on October 11. Do the math and you'll know what I'm feeling.
I know where I would be happy; where I would be living life to the fullest. It's a life where I stay home to take care of my family and stay involved in ministry.
So really I know exactly what I want to do when I grow up. It's just that I don't have a husband to support or kids to take care of and--as my mom would say--I'm working to support my involvement in ministry. So I know what I want to do; it's just not possible yet.
So I was thinking...
1. Wait. Wait is a four letter word. (Really, it is.) I'd like to have a family soon. 'Keep living life and wait.' I want to be debt-free now. 'Keep working and wait.' I'd like to go back to my old position at work. 'Keep working and wait.' You get the idea. I thought I was a patient person, but when the answer is always 'wait,' you've got to wonder what God is teaching you.
2. Think outside the box. I've really limited my ideas about where I should be working. I know I want to be in full-time ministry, but there aren't many opportunities that I know of. But it doesn't matter. God has plans for me and it doesn't matter if I don't know them just yet. I've just got to stop limiting myself and watch (and, yes, wait) for the doors to open at the right time. I know that, but I need to be reminded of that from time to time. Thanks, friend, for the reminder.
-E

No comments: