Monday, June 2, 2008

The Sunsphere

The other day I had (another) training day downtown. Usually when I work at a branch, I drive to a park and eat lunch there; when I'm in training I eat lunch with a friend. I was in this training with a friend, but she only had to come to the after-lunch sessions, so I was on my own. I decided eating in my car in the parking garage would be better than the break room in the "training basement." I was a little disappointed I couldn't go to a park and thought I'd only have a view of cars and concrete. Boy, was I wrong! I got into my car, opened my lunch box, looked up and there was the sunsphere. I've seen the sunsphere a hundred times (even once from the inside), but I had never seen it like this. The garage was bordered by a half wall of concrete topped with a decorative rod-iron gate. The design of the gate in front of my car included a circle that perfectly framed the sunsphere. That in itself was cool, but then I started really looking at the sunsphere. And it was amazing. Every panel was reflecting the view below. At different angles, each panel was showing a different place, like a sphere made of security cameras. Side by side were views of roads, grassy areas, of buildings and construction sites. I could have watched it all day--I felt like I could see the whole city just by looking up.
So I was thinking...
I was expecting the boring and got the amazing. Isn't that just like God, showing up in the least expected places? I've seen downtown Knoxville too many times to count, but I saw it from a brand new perspective by not focusing on the city itself, but on what was above the city. Sound familiar? Focusing on Jesus brings a new perspective on "things below" (education, career, relationships, finances...), and a reminder that 'you ain't seen nothin' yet!'

Colossians 3:2 "Set your mind on things above,
not on earthly things."

(I have a great picture of the moment on my phone. I have no idea how to get it from the phone to a computer, so on my phone it stays.)

No comments: